Kalipso - Using - Backup
The possibility of having backup copies of the work that is being developed is a pillar of any project in the technological area and beyond. Kalipso provides a tool that allows the creation of project backups either automatically or manually, privileging data security.
In the "Project" menu there are three options that allow you to manage your backups. Thus, it is possible to define automatic backups, view the backups performed and perform a backup copy at the moment. These three options always relate to the open project:
- Automatic Backups
- User Backup
- Backup Now
The option of Automatic Backups focuses on the principle that whenever the user saves his project, a backup copy is carried out. Additionally, whenever a test version (deploy) is launched, a backup copy is also performed. In other words, throughout the development of a project, there are several copies that can be consulted and restored if needed.
So, to use this automatic functionality, just click on the corresponding button (automatic backups) to access the following window:
In this option you access all the backups that were made of the active project.
As you can see, the window is divided into two areas: a frame with distribution of days by the active month and a second frame, on the right, with the more specific query for backups. In the main frame, whenever an automatic backup was made on a certain day, it is referenced (as shown in the example image). To restore the backup copies of that day, just click on the desired day and the various copies of that day appear in the second table on the right. There, the backups are divided by hour, minutes and seconds.
By double clicking on one of them Kalipso asks if you want to restore the selected backup creating a new folder.
On the right side of the window there are also three buttons that allow:
- Select all - Select all the backup copies from the chosen day on the left
- Unselect - Unselects the backup copies from the list
- Delete - This function is not available yet.
This option works in addition to automatic backups. The user can, whenever he wishes, make a backup of his project. For that just click on the button "Backup Now". Then this window appears asking:
Do you want to perform a full Backup?
If yes, then:
In this window, you are asked to add a note to the backup that will be performed. Notes help to identify the current status of the project, for example, or a variant of it. This field is free to fill.
Note that the backup will be Timestamped and, this Note, the current Project Version and Database Version will be saved in the Backup for future reference.
When performing a Backup using this method, a progress bar appears to visually indicate the progress of the backup operation.
After having performed the previous option (Backup Now) by accessing this option you will see the backups that were made with this method and the respective associated information (such as notes).
For each backup performed Kalipso creates an independent entry as shown in the image above. Thus, for each entry the following information appears:
- Backed up (at) - Indicates the date and time the backup was performed.
- Project Version - Indicates the version of the project that was backed up (on the date and time previously indicated)
- Database Version - Indicates the version of the database that was backed up (on the date and time previously indicated)
- Notes - Central area where the description/notes of the backup performed appears. When a backup is performed manually, the system prompts you to fill in this area.
- Restore - Restores the selected backup
- Delete - Deletes the selected backup
When you need to perform a restore of a Backup the system asks:
Then you can:
- Open Folder - After the restore process is finished, you can choose to open the Windows folder where it was placed, accessing the project's restored files.
- Open Project - Open the project in the retrieved version.
- Close - Closes the window and let you decide what to do later.